So I'm back again, and I have no idea how to start this. I'm not even a writer, but here I sit at my laptop with writers block. I guess I'll just list a few things that stood out to me or things that just left me confused. Oh and my entries are going to be extremely choppy now because I had to finish the book and return it to the library quickly. I wrote some notes down so two more will be posted up today.
When Valentino was explaining how the Arabs used the Sudanese (specifically the Dinka and Nuer) for slavery and told people that they were giving them "better lives," it reminded me of how the white southerners in America (when slavery thrived here,) used to say that they were "saving" the slaves by giving them better lives than the ones they led in Africa.
Now a little further on, this pops up: "You have no ears for me." Maybe it's all that it means, but I feel as though it isn't. Perhaps it had something to do with racism...but I'm just not sure. Ahhh, confusion! I find it difficult looking for symbolism in this book. I get so engrossed by the story that I overlook the little details I probably should be paying attention to. I'm certain that I missed more than a few things. This will probably happen when I start the other books. The only way for me to look for symbols, allusions, etc., is to read the book for the story first, then go back and reread it, this time reading carefully.
Oh boy, I'll need a lot of practice. Perhaps now I'll try and read more carefully.
On page 146, Valentino dreams of his mother. This page made me sad but the author's use of descriptive words made it beautiful. I love how he goes from warmth and happiness to a dark coldness, showing it only through words; if only I could write like that. Also, right now it makes me sad that he feels so alone in the world; no one's coming to help him. But probably all the Lost Boys and Girls feel this way; they feel broken: "No suit could be made to give us the illusion of ease and comfort in this world."
The resurrection of William...it was an odd term to use, but I really liked it. Perhaps it has more meaning. Also, Dut somewhat reminds me of Noah. I know that in the story, it rained for a while, but God never intended to kill off people...just destroy sin. Dut led the boys away from the madness, but could not shield them from rain. The rain in this story does not destroy sin though; it kills off innocent people. I have no idea what I'm saying though, I'm just trying to make sense of this.
Another thing that popped up again was the bicycle. To me, it kind of represents freedom in a way. Last time, Valentino was not able to ride the bike, but with the weird man he was. He got up and rode it for a while...before he fell that is. So, he's close to freedom, but not just yet?
As they walk to Ethiopia, they see a dead soldier and to me it symbolizes lost hope: the walk was for nothing, the war is for nothing, their country would never be free, and Valentino slows down. Later his good friend William K dies, and it brings Valentino down even more. Then on top of that, Ethiopia isn't what it seems to be; however, he's finally safe, and he can rest for the time being.
No comments:
Post a Comment