Saturday, July 17, 2010

How to Read Literature like a Professor (Ch. 16-18)

I managed to read two chapters on the bus today. It was actually really annoying, I mean the bus ride, but that's completely off topic. Anyway, the two chapters were...interesting. No really. I actually smiled a good few times; I hope no one looked at me all weird.

It's all about sex...except sex. I mean, even the titles! Okay, so as I said, these two chapters were interesting. It makes me somewhat paranoid though. I mean, the fact that there are probably sex scenes that I overlooked while reading books because they were "disguised," if that's the correct term. Regardless, they were both informative. I never would've thought that a rolling landscape would have been a symbol for a sexual...thing. Or a bowl! (It does make sense though, after the author explains how the woman didn't want her boyfriend, or was it her husband?, to put his keys in it.) I did know, however, that authors were limited to what they could and couldn't write back in the days, even though it didn't stop most from writing what they wanted to write. They were the Sex Pistols of their days (though they weren't musicians); rebelling and causing chaos. Okay, maybe not. But they WERE rebels LIKE the Sex Pistols. Funny I should mention the Sex Pistols while typing this up. Oh, I also found this bit highly informative: sex scenes aren't just about sex. They have meaning: "sacrifice, submission, rebellion, etc."

Chapter eighteen: wow, well from now on I'll definitely pay attention to water scenes in novels. This is another one of those chapters that I need to bookmark and reread. I never would've thought that by going into water, whether it be in a dangerous way or not, and coming back up, the character may have been reborn in a sense. Or even drowning on purpose: it could symbolize entering a new life. I find that...awesome.

This was a pretty...nonproductive day. Sadly, I didn't read the seven chapters I had planned to. The entry was shorter though!

Tomorrow should be better.
Wait, no, I mean later today.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny you bring up the bus. This is something we will discuss in class, that the environment in which you read actually affects you more than you think!

    ReplyDelete