Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Kite Runner (Ch.6-10)

So much for 'tomorrow' again. I seriously need to stop saying that if I'm not going to post that day! But anyway...

Kites have come back and I’m starting to see what it might symbolize now: perhaps happiness, innocence, freedom? I’m not sure, but I hope I’m getting close.


I also like the way the author described winter as happy, warm, (which is the way I usually see it; but then again, I live in California where it doesn’t snow,) but usually in books, it’s used as a kind of obstacle (it’s cold, death is part of it, etc.) And in the end, something did die: Hassan and Amir’s friendship.

Though, something more died in Hassan.

“I had a feeling I was looking at two faces, the one I knew, the one that was my first memory, and another, a second face, this one lurking just beneath the surface.” I’ve been trying to figure this quote out in the book. Or, once again, maybe it’s all that it’s supposed to mean, that Amir doesn’t know the real Hassan. Or maybe I’m just wrong. However, I did find the quote interesting.

Hassan is what Amir wants to be. He’s jealous of him and can’t accept the fact that he will never be Hassan.

Now, the rape. I WANT TO SCREAM!!! I wanted to put the book down after reading that part, and then I did put the book down…after reading the part where Amir places the money and watch underneath Hassan’s bed. Hassan looks up to Amir the way Amir looks up to his father, so how could he have LET him get raped!? He sacrificed himself for Amir and his stupid kite. The lamb IS Hassan; he has been sacrificed just as the lamb had; oh and it’s crooked black ears are his cleft-lip/scar. I found that oddly interesting.

The question is, what was being sacrificed? I’m still figuring it out.

Oh, I loved the imagery (that's the correct term, right?) here: when the author is talking about dry, hot summers, then quickly span around to thunder and rain as Hassan and Ali were about to leave.

Also, he uses two metals in the book: gold and silver (he used aluminum as well, but I think the gold and silver stick out more. I forget if he used bronze.) I’m not sure if this means anything either.

Amir and his Baba are leaving their wealth; they’ve become nobody, like everyone else. Before, colors splashed about everywhere on the pages. They’ve slowly begun draining out after Hassan got raped, and now everything is desolate and gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment